Sunday, December 21, 2008

Brrrr It's Cold Out There!

Oregon has had an incredible amount of snow this year.  My family who lives north of us has had a foot of snow.  But us, down where the elevation is 200 ft, the snow comes and melts quickly.  We did have enough to build a snowman before it melted.  I am a  little jealous that the storm skipped us.

Last night, my dear husband was called out at 2:30 am to come and clear downed trees around town.  When we woke up at 7:45, he was still gone.   He called me shortly after that to tell me that he didn't know when he would be home because as soon as they cleared one, more would fall.   I went outside after getting off the phone with him, to see that the EVERYTHING in sight was covered with about a half inch of ice.  The roads are solid.  It really is an amazing sight to see things frozen like this.   When you step outside and listen, you can hear the trees crackle and squeak as the wind gently pushes them.  The icicles are long and hanging off of everything.

[caption id="attachment_165" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="frozen branch"]frozen branch[/caption]

My kids were loving knocking the icicles down, and the crunching sound that the grass making when they stomped on it.  But it is so cold, I had to call them in.

We don't know if this is the last of the cold and snow.  The weather station seems to keep getting it wrong.  Could a white Christmas be in our near future?  We will see!




[caption id="attachment_167" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="A Blade of Grass"]A Blade of Grass[/caption]

4 comments:

  1. Did you get snow? It lasted most of the day here yesterday (Saturday) and we accumulated 3" of it. Then last night we got the freezing rain to top it all off. Now it's a thin layer of ice covering the snow. Messy. We're hoping we actually hit the 40 degrees the weather forecast says for today so Mike can go to work tomorrow!
    We can't take much more of this weather for financial reasons! The kids have been having fun in it though. We also have relatives who are flying in on Tuesday from AZ for Xmas. They're going to be really cold here! I've taken videos to show them incase it has all melted by then ;-)
    Well, need to go. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so jealous! It's finally cold here today...this past Friday it was almost 80 degrees! I love the snow and of course here in Texas, we never see it. Ice would be fine too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got the freezing rain that evening, but a much thinner layer, like an 1/8th of an inch and it was on top of snow - then snow fell on top of it. By the end of it, we had almost 18 inches here (which is like at 600 feet). Some of the best snow was on Christmas day. It was a truly White Christmas. But, now it is mostly gone other than a few patchy bits of slushy, icy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long did your snow last over there. We had it for a full 2 weeks. Looking out my back window I still see piles of snow where the kids made huge blocks of snow. We had a about 14". It was crazy. I can truly say that I am glad it is gone and I have the freedom to leave my house! ;)

    ReplyDelete